Sunday, February 8, 2009

White goods

I don't know what it is about doing my shopping between 12am-4am but I do it every time. Maybe it's the fact that it is far less busy. Or maybe it's because I enjoy late-night driving. Whatever the reason, I do it. Regularly. I get lambasted by others who suggest going at a more reasonable time; however, I am a night owl so this is a more natural time for me to be doing the grocery shopping.

Back on point, I love shopping in the wee hours of the morning. One thing I love to do is to wander around the white goods aisles and see how much things cost. I look at all of these things on display and I think: "I don't have one of these... But for only £'x' I can't afford not to! What will happen when I want 'y' and I don't have the means to get it?!". I'll keep an eye on the prices and if an item drops by even the most minuscule of amounts I feel compelled to buy it. This has happened many times in the last few years but the latest two late night white goods purchases I am very fond of.

The first was a coffee machine which cost £7. £7 for a coffee machine! Madness! It works very well, uses a filter basket which means no money is squandered on filter paper and more precious pennies can go on getting some lovely coffee instead! It's a sleek little black number too so it sits proudly next to the toaster tempting me with its curves and promises of instant gratification.

The second is an item I bought today: An upright bagless vacuum cleaner. At £36 it's up there with some of my more expensive frivolities (along with a 5.1 surround sound set-up and a convector heater) but it is already paying dividends. Now, I share a flat with an old friend of mine and our old vacuum cleaner was appalling - a truly ghastly contraption seemingly intent on ripping up carpet and spewing the remains all over the place like a Terrier pup. The new model though has all of the attachments one would expect with a present day debris sucker, something our old mutt never had, and makes cleaning troublesome areas such as behind sofas and under tables far more agreeable.

The reason I bring these two contraptions ups is because these are the only two that have required assembling by my good self. The coffee machine was simple enough but the putting together the vacuum cleaner was far more taxing. Almost two hours passed before I was able to even fit the cylindrical chamber to the blasted thing. Now, thankfully, it is all set up and ready, raring to go when called upon. The whole ordeal has really made me realise: Vacuums suck.

Jambo out.

0 comments: