Saturday, May 23, 2009

The final hour

As some of you may know, I'm in my final year at University. My dissertation is basically a practical project in the form of a 30 minute documentary with a little written critical evaluation tagged on at the end. I've been working on this project since January, having pitched the initial idea in December, and I'm constantly amazed at how much progress the team and I have made over the last few months. There are only 10-11 days left of University and we are halfway through the editing process and, without meaning to blow my own trumpet, it is looking really professional. All three of us in the team have put a lot of time, effort, and money from our own pocket into this project and we are confident that the final piece will be strong enough to get us a job in documentary film making should that be a path we wish to pursuit.

The last three years have been fun. I've met a lot of cool people, done stuff I'd never done before, and been more independent than I've ever been in my life learning how to manage budgets (for two months I lived off £1 a day) and look after myself. I'm not looking at the end of University as the end of an era, if anything it is just the beginning. I'm going to travel the world for a year starting in September which I am really looking forward to and will chronicle in this blog and on Twitter. I'm going to do a Masters degree when I come back (probably at one of the three local Universities) and then after that I'll be let loose into the real world. Although a chapter is coming to an end, all that's really been revealed are the minor details, the crux of the story is yet to unfold and there are many, many pages ahead of me full of discovery and wonder. This is my book, and I'm determined to make it a bestseller.

Jambo out.

0 comments: