Friday, September 25, 2009

Day 10: Live And Let Day

Well, I partially did today what I planned to do. I got up a little later than expected to caught the 11:52 train into Chicago. I was going to get a bus to Michigan Avenue (a.k.a the Magnificent Mile) but eventually decided on walking the distance and saving a few dollars. After about 20-25 minutes of walking I ended up on one of the most impressive shopping locations I've ever seen. Massive Malls everywhere and loads of designer places. I definitely felt like an outcast in my jeans and t-shirt with a cumulative price of ~£15. I felt like splashing some cash and, considering everything in the States is almost certainly considerably cheaper than in ol' Blighty, this was the place to do it. I wandered down the street for a fair amount of time before stumbling across the Apple shop. I say shop, it was in fact more of a classroom dedicated to teaching those uninitiated with Macs and iPods how to navigate the interfaces. But there was a shop tacked on at the end so I walked out with an Apple Remote meaning I can control music and DVDs from a distance now which is nice.

After this I wandered further north and found Macy's, a massive designer department store with eight levels! The sunglasses I'd taken with me had been warped by the heat so I needed a new pair so I bought a nice pair of Ray Ban aviators for considerably less than I would have paid back in the UK. Right across from the sunglasses hut was a watch stand selling designer watches. I've been a little worried about the lovely, lovely watch I brought with me as I'm always paranoid that it's going to get stolen or damaged in some way and it means so much to me that I ended up buying a watch that I wouldn't mind if it got nicked or damaged seeing as it has far less sentimental value. Straight across the road from Macy's was a Borders book shop so I popped in and grabbed a new book (Kathy Reichs; 'Bones to Ashes' if you must know). I carried on walking till the shops finished then walked all the way back down which took ages so when I looked at the time it was getting late so I walked back to the station (picking up a shaver on the way) and got on the train back to the hotel. Here's a snap of the stuff I bought:



After checking the Chicago History Museum's website it's a good thing I didn't go today as it's free to enter on Mondays. So, that's Monday sorted!

Jambo out.

0 comments: