Saturday, September 19, 2009

Day 4: Live Free or Day Hard

I'm aware I didn't post an update last night but to be honest by the time I'd eventually made my way back from Chicago I was too knackered to post anything. I ended up falling asleep watching Anchorman. So, here's yesterday's blog:

Woke up early again and checked my emails and double checked my route before setting off for Medinha Metra station at 10am. I got there with about 5 minutes to spare. Today I was getting off at Grand/Cicero - a stop I hadn't been to before - and catching the number 73 bus from Grand/Cicero to N Clark St which is right next to Lincoln Park Zoo. That was the plan, but unfortunately things didn't work out that way. I spent about 10 minutes trying to find the no. 73 bus stop but to no avail. I had to ask someone for help and they suggested getting the no. 72 which also went to Clark St but was a bit further away from the Zoo. The bus stop was just at the end of the road so I took his advice and caught the number 72. Now, differences between US and UK buses. In the US, the drivers don't have any change on them so if you don't have the right change then you've got to pay extra. Also, the driver doesn't give you a ticket. I'd like to add that the drivers in the UK are far more understanding and helpful and a lot less arrogant. So after standing around for a few seconds waiting for a ticket or some change I was told to "sit my ass down".

While I was minding my own business, looking out of the window for the names of the stops, I had my first encounter with a crazy guy. He came on and sat next to me and started having an argument about Jesus and Muslims with the two ladies opposite me before trying to drag me into it. I just sat there and nodded. The guy had really crazy eyes - like the character in Adam Sandler's Little Nicky when his bag gets stolen - and I wasn't going to disagree with him. He ranted extensively about how the woman infront of him thought he was crazy, about religion, and about racism before eventually getting off the bus and leaving me in peace.

So, I arrive at N Clark St and follow the road up to N Avenue Beach as I remembered from Google Maps that the Zoo wasn't far away from there. The beach is stunning - there's a really nice juxtaposition between work and play with the beach in the foreground and the looming skyscrapers dominating the skyline in the background.





I stopped at the top of the beach and had a sit down and a drink under the shade by a tree. I must've sat there for about 20 minutes but it's another place, like Buckingham Fountain, that is in my favourite bits of Chicago so far. Just so laid back and a great atmosphere. So, after that little sit down I made my way to Lincoln Park Zoo. LPZ prides itself on being on of the few remaining free Zoos in the World and, despite the lack of income from punters, it didn't disappoint! I arrived just in time to make it to the Seal feeding which was pretty cool - it also taught me the difference between a Seal and a Sea Lion! Here are some photos I took of the animals:












After the zoo I'd planned to walk to the Magnificent Mile and then from there to Adams St where the train leaves from Union Station. However, after leaving the Zoo I didn't know which road I was on so I remembered from Google Maps that if I followed the beach down Lake Shore Drive I could get to Michigan Ave and back on route. The walk down Lake Shore Drive was lovely but the sun made me desperate for a drink and I was unfortunately out of juice. I tried following a sign for Michigan Ave but gave up and instead walked the entire length of La Salle St. I naturally stopped off at the nearest shop to get myself a massive bottle of water. The walk back took about two hours in total and totally wiped me out and made my sore feet even worse. So I make a right onto Adams St and get on the train back to Medinha. The walk from Medinha to the hotel was arguably the most agonizing 40 minutes of my life as my legs and feet were just seizing up with every step. Still, I made it to the 7-11 to grab some Mountain Dew then headed back to the hotel room. That about sums up Day 4.

Jambo out.

1 comments:

Paleothea said...

Loving the photos lil bro! Take care of yourself, and get some sun cream haha!!